top of page

How to Get Certified in Other States as a Traveling CNA


We’ve compiled an easy guide to get started as a traveling CNA.

Each state has their own rules and procedures when it comes to getting licensed, but it doesn’t need to be confusing. Some are free, some have fees attached, and some can be easily done online! The process of getting your license transferred is called “Reciprocity” or “Endorsement”.

Find the state you are interested in below and click on the state name to find the official state documents.​

Give us a call and get started today with a recruiter who will help you get connected with a facility.

Facility will need to handle getting your name placed on the Alabama Nurse Aide Registry.

From the website:

Does Alabama have a Reciprocity form?No.  The reciprocity process for the state of Alabama requires your employer contact the State agency to have your name placed on the Alabama Nurse Aide Registry.

$330 – Mail 

Can work for 120 Days if the application is in process.  For applicants currently certified in another state – must meet Alaska’s minimum training standards and possess unencumbered certification.

$50 – Online Portal

Create an account, apply for a license, and choose the CNA by Endorsement route.

*A note on Arizona: CNA vs LNA

The “NEW” CNA: Although there were CNAs before July 1, 2016, the current CNA, also known as “Registry CNA”, is a new type of credential, effective July 1, 2016. Registry CNAs have fewer requirements for certification and less oversight by the Board. Registry CNA applicants need only meet the minimum federal requirements for CNA certification, and will be issued a certificate after completing an approved CNA program and passing the CNA tests. Registry CNAs are required to practice 8 hours every two years to renew their license/certificate. A criminal background check is NOT required, and certification is free.

The LNA: In contrast, the current LNA has requirements that are almost identical to the “old” CNA. The LNA must complete a criminal background check, has a higher level of oversight by the Board prior to and after issuance of the LNA license. LNAs are required to practice a minimum of 160 hours within the past two years to renew their license.



Please include clear, readable copies of your Driver’s License / Photo ID, Social Security Card, and a copy of your Nursing Assistant Certification from the State you are currently certified in.  Your name must be the same on all documents.  If not, send a copy of documents showing the legal reason for Name Changes (Marriage License, Divorce Decree, or Court Order).  You must also have an Arkansas Address unless you live in a bordering city of Arkansas.

Mail all required forms to:


Fees Vary

In order to transfer your out-of-state certificate to California, you must complete and submit the following to CDPH:

$10 – Online Portal

Create an account and follow the instructions for CNA Certification by Endorsement.  An Application Specialist will review your application based on the information you supply. If your application is incomplete, you will be contacted via the email address you provided. To monitor the status of your application, visit Online Services:

$55 – Online Portal

Follow – Certified in another state route 7

You would select this route if you are currently active and in good standing on a registry in another state.

Please complete an online application.

$30 – Mail Only

Certified Nursing Assistant trained and certified outside the State of Delaware cannot work in a nursing home in Delaware without a Delaware certificate. Delaware certification is required before the person begins working as a CNA, whether working directly for a nursing home or through a temporary/contract agency.

The Division will grant certification through the process of reciprocity if the following conditions are met:

  • The CNA has a current certificate from the State in which he or she currently practices. CNAs from the State of Maryland must also hold a current Geriatric Nursing Assistant certificate to be eligible for reciprocity;

  • Within the last 24 months, the CNA must have three months of full-time experience, equal to 420 clock hours, as a CNA performing nursing-related service for pay under the supervision of a licensed nurse or physician or have completed a training program equal to at least 150 hours; and

  • The CNA must be in good standing in the state or states where he/she is currently certified.

Fees Vary by Fingerprint Provider – Online Portal

Follow the Florida link above then click on the appropriate tabs to see the Initial Licensing Requirements, Process, Fees, Statutes and Administrative Rules for a Certified Nursing Assistant by Endorsement.



Free – Mail Only

A nurse aide from another state may apply for listing on the Georgia Nurse Aide Registry in lieu of completing a Georgia state-approved Nurse Aide Training and Competency Evaluation Program or state approved Competency Evaluation Program by meeting the following qualifications. The individual:

  • Is currently listed on another state’s Nurse Aide Registry with an active status and without discipline/encumbered status on file.

  • Has no pending or substantiated findings of patient abuse, neglect, or misappropriation of resident/patient property recorded on another state’s Nurse Aide Registry.

  • Has a valid, government-issued social security card with the name matching the individual’s registry listing in the state noted in #1 above.

  • Has been employed as a Certified Nurse Aide for at least eight (8) hours, for pay, under registered nurse supervision within the past two years of submitting the required information to Georgia.

$25 – Mail Only

Applicants who are or have been certified in other states use the reciprocity pathway (Route 2 on the form). Prometric will verify registration status. If it is not current, the nurse aide will be required to take the competency evaluation.  Reciprocity candidates will include copies of their current certificates. Prometric will need the name of the state and the certification expiration date.

Free – Mail Only

Do not return this form to the Idaho Nurse Aide Registry.  After you have complete the information requested above, it is your responsibility to send this form to the state agency you are transferring FROM.  These are the states that will not provide written verification of registry status: AZ, CA, CO, IL, KY , MO, NC.  You will need to go to the public verification websites for these states and print a current copy of your status.  Send that back to the Idaho Nurse Aide registry with the completed out of state verification form to the PO box address found at the top of the form.

$25 – Mail or Fax

To become a CNA via OUT-OF-STATE APPLICATION, download the following pdf form [ Out of State Application ] and mail the completed application to Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Nurse Assistant/Aide Testing, 1840 Innovation Drive, Suite 103, Carbondale, IL 62903.

If a CNA certification is not active in any other state, then the CNA may re-certify in Illinois and no transfer fee is required. Please contact the Nurse Aide Testing office at (877) 262-9259 or by email at to inquire as to the process of recertification.

Discover Your Dream Healthcare Career Today!

Join our network of top healthcare professionals and find the perfect job match.


$65 – Mail Only

  1. Application: Original Indiana State Department of Health Nurse Aide Competency Evaluation application (complete sections I and IV and sign and date the bottom of side one). You may obtain an application to test by calling Ivy Tech Community College at (317) 917-5948 or by clicking here to print the application.

  2. Proof of Certification: Copy of current out-of-state certification which shows the registry number and expiration date. Certain states, as listed below, do not provide registry numbers or expiration dates:

  • CNAs from Illinois or Alabama are also required to submit a letter from their employer in that state that indicates they have worked at least one eight hour shift in the past 24 months if the registry was certified more than two years prior. The letter must be on letterhead and include the candidate’s name, work title, and dates of employment

  • Employers who apply for out-of-state candidates must include a completed Out-of-State Validation Statement on facility letterhead, signed by the facility representative who contacted the appropriate out-of-state registry

  1. Payment: Money order or facility check, made out to Ivy Tech Community College, or Visa or MasterCard for payment of a testing fee of $65.00. Personal checks are not accepted


You must take the written portion of the test

Mail your application, documents, and fee to:CNA TestingP.O. Box 1621Indianapolis, Indiana 46206

Ivy Tech Community College will notify the person who submitted the application to test by phone or mail of the test date, time, and location. Testing will be scheduled within 30 days of processing the valid application.

Free – Mail or Fax

If the DCW is transferring from another State, please use the “State Certified (if other than IA)” field to indicate state(s) where the DCW is presently active. It is the facility’s responsibility to contact the Registry from the previous State to verify its status. Many States will provide a license number and/or an expiration date. Please include a copy of the DCW’s present Registry certification card, if available, as well as a legible copy of their Social Security card.

$20 Mail Only

*Above link will auto-download the form.

Please Note: DO NOT complete this form if you have previously been a Certified Nurse Aide in Kansas. You may contact the Kansas Nurse Aide Registry at 785-296-6877 for your Kansas certification status.

In order to be eligible to sit for the Kansas Nurse Aide Test, the candidate must be listed as current or active on any other State’s registry. Any potential candidate who is not sure of his/her status is advised to contact their State registry prior to applying for Kansas certification.

Candidates for testing Must Complete this Form and Attach the following:

  • Copy of identification with current name & social security number (for example: driver’s license, social security card)

  • A non-refundable application fee of $20.00 Payable to KDADS (check, money order or certified check).

Free – Mail or Fax

If you have an active status in another state, submit:

  • Full Name (First, Middle, and Last)

  • Telephone Number

  • Mailing Address

  • Social Security Number

  • Date of Birth

  • Name of State Currently Certified In

  • Certification/Registration Number

  • Copies of Social Security Card, Driver’s License, and State Certification

Send information to KNAR:

Mail to:Kentucky Nurse Aide Registry312 Whittington Pkwy, Ste 300-ALouisville, KY 40222-5172

Fax to:502-429-1247

$35 – Mail OnlySelect Route 8 on the form.

You must be active and in good standing in all states you are currently certified in.Effective July 1, 2018, Prometric will handle the processing of reciprocity applications for Louisiana.

Please read the “Reciprocity Procedure” before submitting the application to Prometric. You must submit payment with the application, along with a legible copy (clear enough to be read) of your social security card and official Louisiana identification (ID card, driver’s license, etc.). A military ID is acceptable.  Also, if the CNA lives within a 30 mile radius of the LA border, a LA ID will not be required.

Mail all required information to this address:PrometricATTN: LA Nurse Aide Program7941 Corporate DriveNottingham, MD 21236

Free – Mail Only(Can work for 4 months while not on registry)

For questions regarding this program and/or application, please contact the following:Department of Health and Human ServicesDivision of Licensing and CertificationMaine Registry of Certified Nursing Assistants and Direct Care Workers41 Anthony Ave; 11 State House StationAugusta, ME 04333-0011



$20 + Fingerprint Fees – Mail Only

How to Obtain an Application• Contact the CNA program at 410-585-2044 or fax a request at 410-764-8042 or send an e-mail request for the application to

Free – Mail Only

General Instructions:Complete this form if you are currently certified as a nursing assistant in another state. Do not complete this form if you have ever been a CNA on the Massachusetts Registry. Instead, contact the ARC Staff at 1-800-962-4337 or 1-781-979-4010 for renewal information.

In order to be placed on the Massachusetts Nurse Aide Registry, complete the application and send to the Nurse Aide Registry where you are currently certified for verification. When the verified application is returned to you, mail the original completed application* to the following address:

ARC/Massachusetts Nurse Aide ProgramReciprocity Program85 Lowell StreetPeabody, MA 01960

$20Michigan requirements for reciprocity include, but are not limited to, the following:

The state training program is consistent with the Federal Code of Regulations, requires a minimum of 75-course hours prior to taking the competency evaluation examination, and does not allow candidates to exempt from training course hours. The following states have confirmed to the state of Michigan that their program meets or exceeds the MI requirements. Candidates that trained and tested in one of these states are eligible to apply for a MI certificate:Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas,Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico,New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah,Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Free – Mail Only

Please follow directions carefully. Incomplete forms will delay your transfer to the Minnesota Registry.All incomplete forms will be returned to the address you listed on the forms.

Complete Section A-1 and send this form to the state registry from which you are transferring. For your convenience, a list of Nurse Aide Registries is on the reverse side.Please Note: Complete Section A-1 and mail this form to the Minnesota Registry if you are transferring from one of the following states: California, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, or North Carolina.2) Complete Section B-1 and send to your last/current employer in the state from which you are transferring. Please check with the registry in the state you are transferring from to ask if that state has a processing fee.

You will be mailed a Verification of Registration letter when you are placed on the Minnesota Nursing Assistant Registry. This letter will be mailed to the address you listed on the forms.

$26 – Mail Only

PLEASE NOTE: This application will NOT be processed without verification of your paid employment as a nurse aide within the previous 24 months (unless you were placed on the state registry within the previous 24 months).  Acceptable verification includes a copy of aW2 form or a pay stub from your employer.

Mail your application, required documentation, and appropriate fee together in one envelope to:Pearson VUE – Nurse Aide, Mississippi Nurse Aide RegistryPO Box 822749Philadelphia, PA 19182-2749

Receiving approval to challenge means that individuals who meet special criteria (listed in the link above)  are not required to take the entire certified nurse assistant course but rather will be allowed to take just the final examination (written and practical) to become a CNA in Missouri.  Allow seven (7) to ten (10) for a response.  Please note: It takes six (6) to eight (8) weeks from the test date for your name to be added to the registry.

Individuals meeting any of the above requirements must submit a written request to the DHSS.  Each request must include a clear copy of the individual’s social security card; return address, a daytime telephone number and all additional documentation.

Section for Long Term CareMissouri Department of Health and Senior ServicesAttn: Health Education UnitPO Box 570Jefferson City, MO 65102-0570

Free – Online Portal or Email

Online Portal Instructions.

1.Create an Epass Montana Account –

2.Follow this link to fill out an online application/register for a Montana license:

Email Instructions.

2.Email the completed PDF to

$20 Abuse Class 

Abuse Class Link– Online Version

All nurse aides coming into Nebraska from another state must also have Nebraska’s one-hour in-service on reporting abuse and neglect. If your first Nebraska employer will not give you this in-service, it can be obtained at some of the community colleges or online.

“We process applications in the order received and it can take up to 30 days to process your application after receipt. If your application is not complete, we will send the application back to you with a deficiency letter.

We do not issue licensure cards for Nurse Aides and we do not send you any notification that we have issued your registration number. You can print your registration information from the website which is updated every day at about 8:00 am.”

$50 Application + $51.25 Fingerprinting

Follow all instructions.  All questions in all sections must be answered completely and the answers legibly written. Incomplete applications will not be processed.

Your application for certification is valid for one year from the date received by the Board. It is your responsibility to follow up with the Board to determine the ongoing status of your application. You must notify the Board, in writing, within 30 days of any changes in your address of record.After all documents are submitted, reviewed, and evaluated, if you are eligible for a temporary certificate, one will be issued. A temporary certificate is valid for six months only and cannot be renewed.

Nevada does not mail certification cards. You must check to see if your certificate has been issued and note its expiration date by visiting the license/certification verification section of our website

$82 – Mail 

Application Process:

  • Please use quality paper for printing the applications (white 8 1/2 x 11-inch paper must be used).

  • Be sure that the form prints completely, making sure that all text is legible, and all boxed content, seals, and symbols are displayed.

  • Read and follow the application directions.

  • Respond to all questions and fill in all requested information.

  • Note: If the answer is none or N/A, please state so. Applications not completely filled out will be returned to you as incomplete.

  • Submit the completed application to the New Hampshire Board of Nursing.

  • Be sure to sign and date and include the correct application fee.

Certification through equivalency or reciprocity

If you are certified in another state or U.S. territory, your certification may allow you to work in New Jersey and be placed on the state registry if you satisfy the following:

  • You provide documentation from the state’s or U.S. territory’s registry that you have completed a training and competency evaluation program equivalent to that of New Jersey.

  • You have not been convicted of any crimes and have no findings of abuse, neglect, or misappropriation of resident property on that state’s registry; and

  • You comply with criminal background investigation requirements.

Call 1-877-774-4243 to apply for reciprocity.

$50 – Mail Only

Fees may be paid by money order or certified check made payable to “NY Commissioner of Health, NYNA.”  Your name and ID (if available) must be written on the form of payment.  Personal checks and cash are not accepted.  Fees are nonrefundable.

Mail to:Prometric, ATTN: NY Nurse Aide Program7941 Corporate DriveNottingham, MD21236

Free – Email, Mail, or Fax

Updated 2/2021

New Address: 5301 Central Avenue NE, Suite 1510 Room 11, Albuquerque, NM 87108New Fax # 505-841-6551New Phone # 505-861-9680Updated email address:

Out-of-State Nurse Aides may be able to be listed on the NC Nurse Aide I Registry by either completing a Training Waiver or Reciprocity Application. Eligibility for each are listed below.

  • Training Waiver or

  • Must have completed a state approved nurse aide training program in another state within the last 24 months;

  • Must be currently listed on another state’s registry in an unexpired status and in good standing.

  • Reciprocity Application *(Out of state private duty employment does not qualify candidates for reciprocity)

  • Must have completed a state-approved nurse aide training program, passed competency testing and be listed on another state’s nurse aide registry;

  • Must be currently listed on another state’s registry in an unexpired status and in good standing, having no pending or substantial findings of abuse, neglect, exploitation, or misappropriation of resident of patient property on another State’s registry of nurse aides;

  • Must have been employed as a nurse aide for monetary pay consisting of at least eight (8) hours of time worked performing nursing or nursing related tasks delegated and supervised by an RN in the previous 24 consecutive months can apply for reciprocity.

Free – Online Application

Complete applications are processed within 3-5 business days. Status of license applications can be viewed online at

Free – Mail or Fax

Download the form by following the Ohio link above.

You can apply for CNA certification reciprocity if you are listed as a nursing assistant with an active certification in another state.You will need to be listed in good standing with no crimes or misconduct against patients.

It will be necessary to provide the following information to the Ohio Department of Health Nurse Aide Registry:

  1. Your full name

  2. Copy of your driver’s license

  3. Copy of your social security number

  4. Date of birth

  5. Current home address

  6. Daytime phone number

  7. Name of state(s) where you are registered

Submit all the requested information above to:

Ohio Nurse Aide Registry- 246 N. High Street-Columbus, OH43215

Or fax to: (614) 564-2461 or (614)466-8692

Free – Mail Only

If you’re an out-of-state CNA, you can transfer your license to Oklahoma through reciprocity.

  • Download and fill out the reciprocity application

  • Provide copies of your certification from the old state, proof of training and employment.

Note: If there are findings of abuse or neglect on your record, the registry will deny your application for transfer.

$64.50 Fingerprints – Online Application

  • Have never been certified as a CNA in Oregon; and

  • You completed an approved nurse aide training program in another or jurisdiction that met federal OBRA standards; and

  • Hold a current, unencumbered CNA certificate in another state or US jurisdiction; and

  • Have at least 400 hours of paid work history doing CNA authorized duties (if it has been more than two years since you completed your training program).



Free – Online

Once logged in, look for the small link labeled “To apply for nurse aid reciprocity, click here”

$35 – Mail Only

3 Capitol Hill, Room 104Providence, RI 02908-5097(401) 222-5888

Free – Online Portal

To be added to the South Carolina Nurse Aide Registry by way of Reciprocity, you must complete an online application and provide proof of having completed a minimum of 100 hours of nurse aide training and your current certification information. Click on the above link and “Create an Account”. Then complete the South Carolina Reciprocity Application.

Free – Online/Mail

Please note:

  • This application process is for individuals who have never been registered as a Certified Nurse Aide (CNA) in South Dakota but are registered in another state pursuant to ARSD §44:74:02:23.

  • If this is the first time the individual has applied for Interstate Endorsement as a Certified Nurse Aide (CNA), the individual may work in South Dakota for up to 4 months while the application is being processed pursuant to ARSD §44:74:02:03.

  • Applications will expire after 4 months if all endorsement requirements are not met and the applicant will no longer be eligible to work in South Dakota as a CNA.

  • There is no processing fee for the South Dakota Registry.

The applicant should:

Complete the online application.Print the Verification of Registration form and send it to the state registry where the applicant was originally registered as a Certified Nurse Aide.Print the Employment Verification form and have it completed by a current/previous employer.

Online – Updated

D&S Diversified Technologies took over the TN CNA reciprocity approval process from the TN Dept of Health in May of 2019. Individuals need to visit, click on the TENNESSEE link in the NURSE AIDE column, then click on blue button at the bottom of the orange box CLICK HERE FOR: OUT OF STATE NA RECIPROCITY INTO TN.

You can call them for assistance at 888-698-1278.

This form cannot be viewed on mobile or tablet devices. Follow the steps below to download and view the form on a desktop PC or Mac.

  1. Right Click for PC or Ctrl + Click for Mac on the PDF link and click “Save link as” from the menu.

  2. Select the folder you want to save the file in and then click “Save.”

  3. Navigate to the folder you saved the file in and Right Click for PC or Ctrl + Click for Mac, then select “Open With” from the menu and select Adobe Acrobat Reader DCNote: Open the PDF file from your desktop or Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. Do not click on the downloaded file at the bottom of the browser since it will not open the PDF in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. It will try to open the file in the browser that results in the same browser error message. If still having trouble viewing or downloading a form, click here.

$30 – Mail, Fax, or Email

Transferring your CNA into and out of Utah: Complete the attached application and email, mail or hand deliver it to our office along with a photocopy of your driver’s license or acceptable form of ID*, nursing assistant credentials and required fee to the Utah Nursing Assistant Registry (UNAR) office.

The names on the application, ID and nursing assistant credentials must match or your application will be denied.

Only PDF versions of the application and attachments will be accepted by email. JPEG, TIFF, PNG or photos of the application and attachments will not be accepted and will be returned for correct resubmission.

$20 – Online Application

Out-of-state CNAs or LNAs can be endorsed into Vermont without examination only if they meet experience requirements. They must have worked at least 400 hours (50 days) during the prior two years.

License verification will be required. However, an endorsement candidate may receive a temporary license, valid for up to 90 days. Verification forms are available on the website of the Board of Nursing. Application files must be complete within six months.

A nursing assistant with active status who has not met the 400 hour requirement but who completed a program of at least 80 hours may be allowed to test without retraining; the training program must have included at least 30 hours of clinical work and must have been completed in the prior two years.

Free – Online

Register for an account and then login and follow the instructions for applying online.

$32 – Mail Only

Out of state trained, out of country trained, or nursing school student:If you have completed an out of state training, out of country training, or if you are a nursing school student and are requesting approval to take the nurse aide competency examinations you must:

  • Submit application and fee

  • Have your training program submit official transcripts, certificates, or any documentation of training. If your documents are not in English, you must have them translated by a professional translation service.

  • Evidence of completion of seven hours of AIDS education and training.

  • Have completed a cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) course, provide a copy of the front and back of your current card as proof of completion.

  • Have successfully passed the nurse aide competency examinations.

Note: Once your training has been reviewed, and determined to meet Washington Staterequirements, you will be authorized to take the National Nurse Aide AssessmentProgram (NNAAP) examinations. Once you have successfully passed your exam,results will be sent directly to the Department.

$15 – Mail

Mail this application and a $15 money order made payable to Pearson VUE, along with copies of your social security card, your current out-of-state nurse aide certificate/license, and signature-bearing photo identification, to:

Pearson VUEDC Nurse Aide EndorsementPO Box 13785Philadelphia, PA 19101-3785

Free – Online Application

Click the link above and fill out/submit the application for Nurse Aide by Reciprocity.

Free – Mail Only

The Wisconsin Department of Health Services, Office of Caregiver Quality will process your application within 10 business days of our receipt. If you are eligible for placement on the Wisconsin Nurse Aide Registry, you will receive a WI Nurse Aide Registry Card within three (3) weeks.

$120 – Online

Follow the link below to create your account and apply online.

12 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page